What is a rite of passage? What purpose did it serve in a boy’s life? How can we create modern rites of passage for today’s boys?
In this Thursday Throwdown, we are excited to have Tim Wright. He is a pastor, author, podcaster, and co-leader of The Helping Boys Thrive Summit with Michael Gurian. Today he talks about the history of the rite of passage and what significance it had in different cultures. He also tells us how we can create rites of passage or manhood ceremonies for our sons in every stage of life.
“If we don’t harness the energy of boys, they’ll either become passive or destructive.”—Tim Wright
Tim Wright has been a pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America since 1984. In 2005, he started Community of Grace in Peoria, Arizona. He’s authored five books and has trained pastors and church leaders throughout the US and around the world. Along with Michael Gurian, he co-created the rite of passage program: Following Jesus: A Heroic Quest for Boys. He and his wife, Jan, raised a daughter and a son. They are now happily investing their lives in their three grandchildren.
What You’ll Learn
- Why we should mark milestone events for boys (and girls)
- Different stages in life to honor with ceremony: turning 16, turning 21, marriage, first child.
- There are many men in boys’ bodies because they never made the transition into manhood.
- The structure of the rite of passage process
- How boys who don’t have rites of passage will create their own negative rituals, like college hazings.
- Boys used to work alongside their fathers and grandfathers on the farm. Modern boys are raised by women and dads have outsourced their parenting to schools and coaches.
- Boys are now behind in school and in the job market.
- The ideal age to initiate a rite of passage.
- Forming modern rites of passage around challenges your son will face like money, sex, and alcohol.
- Instilling HEROIC values:
- How to know when to help your son and when to let him help himself.
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week. The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
The Smart Way to Keep Kids Safer Online
Bark’s affordable, award-winning dashboard proactively monitors
text messages, YouTube, emails, and 24 different social networks
for potential safety concerns,
so busy parents can save time and gain peace of mind.
CLICK HERE TO GET BARK
Use coupon code GOODDAD at checkout for 10% off
We have Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from THE DAD’S EDGE book on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
Hungry for more out of life?
Become a member of The Dad Edge Alliance
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!