Today we talk about how to become a patient father.
The Dad Edge started on one of the worst nights of my life as a dad. I lost my patience and did something I regret to this day.
I didn’t grow up with my dad in the picture, and the men in my life were not good father figures to me. I was raised in an uncertain, sometimes abusive, alcohol-ridden household. When I became a parent, I didn’t have a clue. All I knew is what I didn’t want to do, but that wasn’t enough.
Losing our temper does not mean that we are bad, hopeless people. We are only lacking the skills to talk ourselves down so that we can respond instead of reacting to the daily challenges of fatherhood.
In this show, I give you a toolbox of strategies that you can use to understand the triggers, notice the signs, and disarm the bomb before it goes off.
Patience is the capacity to accept, tolerate, or delay trouble or suffering without getting angry or upset.
What You’ll Learn
- Why focusing on what NOT to do as a parent backfires
- Why it’s so hard to determine where our anger comes from
- The shame and guilt we feel because we don’t understand why we sometimes verbally, or even physically, take our frustration out on our loved ones
- The things we do in the morning that set us up for disaster when it comes to losing our tempers
- The elements of patience
- The physical triggers that signal that we’re about to react
- How we unwittingly trigger our fight or flight mechanisms
- How to create space between reaction and response
- Why emotions are neither bad nor good
- How to detach from outcomes
- How to prepare for moments that will test our patience
- How to give forgive ourselves when we make mistakes
- Stopping negative self-talk
- Executing an after-action review
BECOME A PATIENT FATHER IN 37 MINUTES
Learn how to understand, predict, and neutralize your temper in this quick, actionable eCourse.
Includes print offs, templates, plus a 30-day membership in THE DAD EDGE MASTERMIND.
Get support, motivation, and advice from other men who’ve been there. With the accountability of the community, you will not fail!
Join our Dad Edge Group on Facebook
We have Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
FREE chapter from THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE
FREE EBOOK: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
FREE EBOOK: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
Follow The Dad Edge
Join over 457 men becoming their best selves
in The Dad Edge Alliance.
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!