We obsess over nutrition and fitness for a strong physique, but we ignore the most important organ in the body—the brain. The brain manages every function of the human body and is also in charge of our focus, mood, and ability to learn.
In this episode of The Dad Edge, America’s Most Popular Psychiatrist, Dr. Daniel Amen, talks about how we can improve the lives of ourselves and our children by making the brain a priority. He tells us how to eat to optimize brain power, how to create a bedtime routine for the best sleep, and how to stop the negative thoughts and behaviors that sabotage our progress in life.
This show will transform the way you think, literally. Prepare to Change Your Brain, Change Your Life!
Get the brain right and your mind will follow.–Dr. Daniel Amen
Dr. Daniel Amen
“Dr. Amen believes that brain health is central to all health and success. His work is dedicated to helping people have better brains and better lives.
Patients love him…viewers worship him…and thousands of people say they owe their lives to Dr. Amen.
His health clinics across the country see over 4,000 patient visits each month and continue to grow. And his breakthrough public television programs on various issues of brain and mental health have aired over 80,000 times and have been watched by millions of people.
He is a distinguished fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, and as a pioneer in brain SPECT imaging, he introduced a whole new way of looking at the brain. His research on brain imaging was ranked #19 out of the top 100 stories in science in 2015 by Discover Magazine.
Dr. Amen is a #1 New York Times best-selling author, double board-certified psychiatrist, professor and brain health expert.”
Your brain is involved in everything you do, every decision you make, and everything you are. And when your brain works right, you work right.–Dr. Daniel Amen
What You’ll Learn
- How Dr. Amen went from average C student to graduating medical school
- Depression and suicide increase with inadequate sleep.
- The brain washes itself and consolidates information from the day during sleep
- More people die on the road from sleep deprivation than alcohol.
- How to honor a child’s circadian rhythm
- Using a light box to reset your kids’ circadian rhythm to wake up early
- How ADD kids are usually night owls
- How to create a calming routine for your kids, engaging all 5 senses with relaxation before bedtime
- Getting your kids to fall in love with their brains
- How gadgets keep us awake by flooding us with blue light
- The more secure the attachment to your kids, the safer they feel and the better they sleep.
- How to bond with your child by spending 20 minutes each day listening to your him/her without giving your opinion.
- The best brain breakfasts
- Why eggs are the perfect food
- The great cholesterol myth
- How very low levels of cholesterol are associated with mental illness
- Finding foods you love that love you back
- Amen’s house rule: never spend money on food that will harm the kids
- Getting your kids to eat brain healthy foods
- Teaching kids to read food labels
- When blood sugar is low, blood flow to your frontal lobe is slow.
- Healthy snacks for after school
- Why apple juice is a bad food
- The truth about dairy
- How most people don’t have the enzyme to process lactose (dairy sugar)
- Healthy Brain Diet: 70% plants 30% healthy protein and a lot of healthy fats
- Cultures who eat the most fish have the least depression.
- The younger you start giving children fish, the better.
- Preparing the brain for learning
- How to proactively get ready for class to reduce study time and increase retention
- Studying the day’s lesson before class to ask smarter questions
- How and why kids should make an effort to develop a good relationship with teachers
- Why interacting in a group setting is so helpful in learning
- How to limit distractions and reward yourself for staying focused
- Why it’s crucial to define your life and what you want for all aspects of it
- How to ensure your behavior fits the goals you have
- Consistent thinking or acting over time gets you what you want.
- Why you must base your activities around what will matter most in the future
- The smallest, most effective thing you can do today is to ask yourself, “Is the consequence of this decision the best for my brain?”
- Whenever you feel sad, mad, or out of control, write your feelings down and question the negative thinking.
- Avoiding psychiatric medication when possible.
- The power of nutritional supplements
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week.
The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
Brain Directed Supplements for a Better Mind and Body
Dad Edge Listeners Get 15% off
Dr. Amen’s Links
We have new Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
Hungry for more out of life?
Become one of the 350 men of The Dad Edge Alliance
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!