Jeff Hemmer is the author of the book Man Up!: The Quest for Masculinity. He is also a pastor, a husband, and the father of six children.
We don’t usually do spiritual topics on The Dad Edge podcast, but whether you’re spiritual or not, you will get a lot of value from today’s show. We’re going to talk about what it means to be a spiritual leader in your house and go beyond the “Sunday School” versions of the Bible to explore the true masculinity of Jesus.'How do I know that I’m doing the right thing as a father? As a husband? What does it really mean to be a man?' – @jeff_hemmer #men #dads #fathers #spirituality Click To Tweet
Jeff says he had an average upbringing. He had faithful loving parents who were very supportive of Jeff and his brother. They are still married today. Jeff never questioned their support.
He and his wife have been married for fifteen years. They were high school sweethearts and neither of them has ever dated anyone else. Their sixth child on the way in August. Jeff says it’s rarely quiet in their house, but each child brings something wonderful to the family and they muddle through the chaos together.
When Jeff had his first child, his son who is now nine years old, he realized that even though biologically, he’s a man, he never knew what it meant to be his own man in a society that values people for their sameness.
He was struck that the church should have been teaching and talking about manhood, the differences between men and women, and the dynamics of a family. He had to seek resources outside the church to explore masculinity like The Art of Manliness, Order of Man, and Jack Donovan. He also looked to the Bible for examples. He was dumbfounded that very few people in the church taught about this robust biblical masculinity.
Jeff doesn’t claim he’s an expert. He still struggles with the things a man needs to learn. It’s his journey, and he’s not to the destination yet. Jeff says all men are on a the same road. They are always learning from fellow travelers. Some have made mistakes. Some have succeeded and encouraged others. Jeff’s at a point now where he has learned wisdom from his experiences and is passing it along to those who are slightly behind him on the road. This is why he wrote Man Up!: The Quest for Masculinity.
What You’ll Learn
- How writing his book helped him become better in all his roles as a man
- How he was able to acknowledge the ways he wass prone to fail as a father, husband, and man
- An example of perfect masculinity you can find anywhere else
- How softness is selfishness
- How true masculinity is the opposite of selfishness, to be and instrument for the good of others
- The biblical duties of a man : protect, provide, and procreate
- How Jesus was an example of masculinity
- How Jesus is both the solution for men’s failings, and also the example of what a perfect man is and does
- Mind-blowing insights about Adam and the Original Sin
- Why men have to be called to something higher to lose their selfishness
- How Jesus on the cross is the ultimate display of masculinity
- About the real Jesus who was rough around the edges, who called people out, and confronted religious leaders of the day
- About Jesus’s band of brothers and how they helped him
- What fathers need to do as the spiritual leaders of their households
- How to model Christianity to your kids
- How dad’s should serve as the pastor of their families
- Jeff Hemmer’s parting piece of dad wisdom
YNAB. You Need a Budget
Get a FREE 34 Day Trial at YNAB.com/dads
We appreciate all the support!
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read a review on the show each week. The next one could be yours!
Jeff Hemmer’s Links
JUNE 7TH – 9TH – ST. LOUIS
Are you an extraordinary father looking to accelerate in all aspects of your life?
Are you looking to connect to like-minded Dads that want to come together to strengthen and grow in their abilities both personally and professionally?
The Dad Edge 2018 Summit (Live Event) will set you up to do exactly that.
We have new Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page