The next generation is our responsibility. Our kids are watching us. What kind of world do we want them to build?
Today, The Dad Edge celebrates episode 300! Thank you to all of our listeners for being part of this community of men who want to Live Legendary. When we invest in ourselves, when we join together, when we level up, it changes the world. If you’ve been enjoying the show, please take a few seconds to leave us a review and let us know your thoughts.
Our guest for this milestone show is Jon Macaskill. He is a Retired Navy SEAL Commander, a husband, and the father of two. He is also the Executive Deputy Director of Veteran’s PATH, a nonprofit helping veterans rediscover meaning, purpose & joy through mindfulness, meditation and a safe community.
Jon talks about how he uses his training and experience in the SEAL teams to achieve seemingly impossible goals. He tells us how to respectfully cherish our spouses and parent as a cohesive team. He also teaches us how to become strong, mindful fathers by overcoming selfishness and practicing compassion.
Not for self, but for country.
Jon is a Navy SEAL Commander turned mindfulness and meditation teacher. He’s a Naval Academy graduate and has his masters in Operations Research from the Naval Postgraduate School. Jon has served in Iraq, Afghanistan, off the coast of Somalia, and in Panama. Jon brings mindfulness and meditation to high performing teams to aid in dealing with stress, anxiety and depression all while increasing focus, creativity, and productivity. He is dedicated to introducing meditation and mindfulness to veterans to bring them a sense of Peace, Acceptance, Transformation and Honor (PATH) after his 24 year military service career ended in June, 2020.
Jon’s wife also served in the Navy and is now a civilian Orthopedic Physician Assistant in Virginia Beach. They are both proud parents of two small children and currently live as a family in Chesapeake, Virginia.
What You’ll Learn
- How and why Jon went to the SEAL teams
- How he survived the grueling BUDs training—He didn’t come to go to the BUDs. He came to be a SEAL. BUDs was just a stepping stone to his dream.
- When you feel like giving up, ask yourself, “What’s the larger goal?”
- How you treat your wife as an equal.
- The man is not the head of the household. The two of you make the head.
- Cherish your bride. Become a parenting team with your spouse.
- Why selfishness prevents you from accomplishing what you want in life
- How to push past pain by solidifying your vision
- Goal ladders–what are goal ladders and how to use them
- Once you reach a goal, always ask, “What’s next?” Keep growing.
- The most important lesson Jon wants to instill in his kids is compassion for others and compassion and for themselves.
- We beat ourselves up for failures, but they are only failures if we don’t learn from them.
- Jon’s new life as a mindfulness meditation teacher
Leave an iTunes review.
Get a FREE book!
If you’re enjoying the show, leave us an itunes review. If your review is chosen as the iTunes Review-of-the Week, we’ll send you the free book of your choice!
Thanks for the support!
Jon Macaskill’s Links
Join our Dad Edge Group on Facebook
We have Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
FREE chapter from THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE
FREE EMAIL SERIES: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
FREE EBOOK: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
Follow The Dad Edge
Don’t settle for a mediocre life.
Join over 420 men becoming their best selves
in The Dad Edge Alliance.
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!