What kind of father do we need to be to raise girls into strong, empathetic, and emotionally resilient women? Today’s show is all about how to raise confident, mentally tough daughters.
Emily McCarthy is a former case officer for the CIA and the cofounder of GORUCK, a brand with Special Forces roots that leads backpacking events all over the world.
Emily lost her father when she was just getting out of college. It was a devastating blow, but the foundation he laid will echo for generations.
Emily talks about how her dad gamified safety and defense so she would always be ready to protect herself and others. She also talks about the many ways her father showed up in her life that made her into the incredible woman she is today.
Emily’s story is proof of the ripple effect a father leaves on his children’s lives, even if his time is cut short. Don’t miss this moving episode.
My father was a big part of my life because he showed up.
How to Raise Confident, Mentally Tough Daughters
- What it was like for Emily to witness her father dying
- The void left by the pillar of the family
- In the wake of his death, she traveled the world as a language teacher.
- How Emily’s father taught her and her brother important lessons veiled in fun activities
- How her dad showed them to protect themselves through the gamification of safety and defense
- How Emily’s father expected her to protect her brother and anyone who needed help
- The many large and small ways her dad showed up for her
- Emily’s father technique to train her “not to be a wuss”
- How Emily’s father’s lessons helped her through bullying
- How to instill healthy fear in your children
- If you shelter a child too much, they will not have the healthy fear to protect themselves.
- The unusual relationship between her and her husband/GORUCK cofounder, Jason
- How once, in 5 years of their marriage, they never lived together
- Her experience as a case officer for the CIA post-911
- The happy accident of the GORUCK idea
- How GORUCK events make people excited about life and bring about a sense of community
- The benefits of GORUCK Events for parents and kids
- How kids in a group setting self-correct–”the village teaches”
- Rucking is just like life–you don’t know what to expect.
- How Emily sees her father in her children, even though they never met him.
Emily McCarthy’s Links
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week.
The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
We have new Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
Hungry for more out of life?
Become one of the 350 men of The Dad Edge Alliance
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!