Every year, we envision a new future and set goals to become who we really want to be. Why is it that more often than not, we never get very far? If we pay close attention, we can hear a taunting voice, an inner bully who says, “You can’t do that. Who do you think you are? You’re not worthy or deserving. You’re a fake, a fraud, and a loser.” Meet Imposter Syndrome, and we all deal with it.
Today we have Dr. Jaime Hope on the show. She’s an Emergency Medicine Physician, Wellness Expert, Teacher, Speaker, and Author. Jaime tells us how to notice when Impostor Syndrome is creeping up and how we can shut that bully down. She gives us tools to build resilience against our own negative voices and build a new vision of ourselves. Jaime also reveals how to deal with times of stress by connecting the pain with our vision and purpose. Best of all, she gives us examples of how we can “program” our kids to have built-in protection against imposter syndrome.
Get ready to defeat that inner bully once and for all!
“Your brain is neutral. It doesn’t care what self-identity you give it. It believes what you tell it with confidence and repetition.”—Dr. Jaime Hope
Dr. Jaime Hope
Dr. Jaime Hope is a dual board-certified physician working outside of Detroit, Michigan, in one of the busiest emergency departments in the country. In over twelve years on the job, she has learned that no matter what brought her patients to the ER, they all want the same thing: to live happier, healthier lives. Today, whether she’s helping patients, teaching future doctors, or engaging the local community, Dr. Hope is showing others how to create better habits and make healthy living fun, practical, and accessible. Her talk, Learn How to Gain Confidence & Remove the ‘Imposter Syndrome’, can be found on YouTube.
“We act in accordance with how we view ourselves.”—Dr. Jaime Hope
What You’ll Learn
- Jaime wanted to be one of the fly girls on In Living Color.
- Now Dr. Jaime Hope uses the truths of human behavior to teach patients how to work with themselves instead of against themselves, empowering them to make substantial changes for better health.
- Our expectations for ourselves are ridiculous.
- We think of ourselves as either/or. Either we’re perfect or we’re a total screw up.
- We are born with a healthy self-esteem.
- As we grow up, bullies or other negative experiences plant seeds of self-doubt in us.
- These seeds get watered more than the seeds of self-confidence. They grow larger and stronger, creating hyperbolic negative beliefs.
- We focus on the negative and let it invalidate the positive. If we fall short in any way, it overshadows everything.
- Not everyone’s always going to like you.
- What imposter syndrome sounds like—Do I belong? Am I capable? Am I worthy? Do others think I’m capable?
- The difference between mantras and affirmations
- Affirmations won’t work if you really don’t believe them. This can do more harm than good.
- You can train your brain for the positive thinking, but it must be done with the same consistency and confidence as your negative thoughts to start to change.
- The brain likes short, catchy, frequently repeated phrases.
- How to formulate first-person, action-oriented mantras
- If you view yourself as an impatient parent, you’re going to act like one.
- Your kids will learn how to deal with situations from observing you.
- Own your own feelings. Your kids can’t make you frustrated. You’re choosing to be frustrated over the situation.
- You become your child’s inner voice, which means you have the opportunity to implant a positive voice.
- Examples of mantras to teach your kids
- What to do when we go down the path of absolute negativity and hopelessness
- How to turn stress into success
- The 5 Types of People You Need in Your Life:
- People who light the way for you
- The fail friend
- Your tribes
- Someone who would take a bullet for you
- Those you are lighting the way for
- Keeping the learner/beginner mindset
- It’s important to share mistakes so others don’t repeat them.
- What brings the most joy in marriage
- When it comes to opening up emotionally as a man, do you want to be a strong, rugged individual, or do you want a strong relationship?
- As a husband and father, you must see AND BE SEEN.
- Look how far you’ve come with all your negative thoughts. Imagine what you can do now that you know how to defeat them!
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week.
The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
Dr. Jaime Hope’s Links
We have new Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
- The Dad Edge Now on YOUTUBE
Hungry for more out of life?
Become one of the 350 men of The Dad Edge Alliance
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!