Identity Theft is a huge problem that encompasses more than credit card and bank fraud. Your personal identifying information can be used by criminals to apply for loans in your name, commit prescription pill fraud, or work under your professional license. Worst of all, your child’s information can be sold on the dark web and you may not find out till years later after their name has already been destroyed.
Barry Russel from Legal Shield is here to talk about the five different kinds of identity theft, case studies of identity theft, and how we can protect ourselves and our families from identity theft. He also tells us what steps we need to take if we suspect our identity has been stolen.
This problem is rampant and out of control. It’s not a matter of if. It’s a matter of when. Arm yourself with everything you need to know about identity theft in this episode.
What You’ll Learn
- How identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the world
- Identity theft is up 126% from the previous year
- How 446 million records were exposed in 2018
- What information gets exposed during breaches of big names like Marriott, Target, and Equifax
- How hackers get into databases
- How the most at risk are children and seniors
- Why kids’ IDs under the age of 8 are most valuable
- The emotional impact of identity theft
- The five different kinds of identity theft
- Financial – 17-20%, credit cards and bank accounts, the most easily solved
- Social security number theft – used to hijack tax returns or apply for employment
- Criminal identify theft – when a criminal uses a driver’s or professional license and commits a crime in your name
- Child identity – sells for as much as $250 on the black market and dark web
- Medical identity theft – stealing an ID to obtain medical services or prescriptions
- Case studies of each kind of identity theft
- How to recover from identity theft
- A good identity theft plan should:
- cover the whole family
- be affordable and on a month to month basis
- have proactive monitoring of PII, including social media
- offer regular reporting monthly
- send notifications right away for unusual activity
- monitor credit card and bank accounts
- be a credible, established firm
- cover the IDs of minors
- offer extensive consultation
- use Licensed Private Investigators
- offer a password creation system
- Have a service guarantee
- The best way to prevent ID theft—take action, get protection
LEGAL SHIELD ID SHIELD OFFER
For Listeners of The Dad Edge
Get coverage for you and your entire family for only $18.95 a month! (regular price $24.95)
SIGN UP FOR YOUR ID PROTECTION PLAN
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week. The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
We have Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
Hungry for more out of life?
Become a member of The Dad Edge Alliance
Learn More About Our Live Event!
June 6th – 8th 2019
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!