“Being a Good Dad with ‘The Miracle Morning’” Episode Overview
Larry and Shawn interview Hal Elrod. Hal is one the world’s most popular and sought after success coaches. Hal goes in depth of how he uses “The Miracle Morning” strategies to be a more purposeful father.
- How dads can utilize “The Morning Miracle” to improve their lives
- Learn about the “5 Minute Rule” and how it can improve your mentality and positivity
- Learn about 6 powerful development characteristics (S.A.V.E.R.S.) that will help enrich a balanced and fulfilled life
Guest: Hal Elrod
Hal Elrod is a best selling author, international keynote speaker, ultra-marathon runner, one of the most sought after success coaches in the world, and a father. He currently teaches people how to get the most out of life by using a strategy called “The Miracle Morning”.
Early in life, Hal learned that if you want something, you have to earn it. It’s a lesson he instills in his own children. He also learned that you can get paid doing something that you love. Although a self-described “non high-level achiever” in academics and athletics compared to Hal’s peers growing up, he found within himself the power to say, “Why not me? Why can’t I do that?” — and so, he broke a company all-time sales record held for 50 years for the western division of its national region, during his first 10 days working with a mentor. Breaking record after record, Hal started being recruited to speak at events at company where he worked and at others. Then, Hal began his career as a motivational speaker and his other endeavors followed.
What’s Your Wheelchair?
Hal was traveling back from a speaking engagement where he received a standing ovation, and he went from feeling on top of the world to feeling like the world was ending. Listen to the podcast as Hal shares his story of surviving a near-fatal car crash, in which he lost so much blood that he was clinically dead for 5-6 minutes.
Now that Hal is a dad himself, he has come to understand a part of his own story that he didn’t come to realize before: the unimaginable pain and emotions his own parents went through with his accident and recovery. After coming out of a coma 6 days later, doctors told Hal that he would never walk again. While his parents were distraught, Hal wasn’t. He told his parents that if the doctors were right, then he would be the happiest, most grateful person in a wheelchair. Because you can either be miserable in the wheelchair or not be miserable. Either way, you’re still going to be in a wheelchair.
What’s your circumstance in your current state or past that is out of your control? Or, maybe you can control the circumstance, but it’s going to a lot of time to turn it around? What’s your wheelchair: What is the circumstance that you’re letting hold you back from true happiness, fulfillment, success, everything that you want? Because you can choose to be the happiest, most grateful, most productive person even in the midst of the most difficult time in your life.
“The Miracle Morning”
Listen to the podcast to hear why and how Hal created “The Miracle Morning” for himself.
These are things Hal does for his “Miracle Morning”:
- He wakes up a couple hours early — first thing in the morning when his brain is fresh mentally and emotionally, a clean slate. The time enables him to tackle his biggest ambitions, goals, dreams, and highest priorities in his life and/or business before his kids wake up.
- He exercises every morning to put himself in a peak physical, mental, and emotional state.
- He listens to an audiobook that challenges him to be a better person (business, personal growth, improving relationships, etc.).
- The combination of listening to something extremely positive while putting yourself in a peak physical state is critical.
- Then, applying what you have learned into your daily life every day.
This quote turned Hal’s life around:
“Your level of success will seldom exceed your level of personal development because success is something you attract by something you become.” – Jim Rohn
If you want Level 10 success in life, then you have to assess where you are at in your personal development in all areas of your life. Hal defines “personal development” as “you as a person, who you are”: your knowledge, confidence, skills, energy, enthusiasm — literally, every component of you who are, that’s your personal development.
For example: If your level of knowledge of being a dad is at a Level 2, you’re wondering why you’re being not being a good dad, and you want to be at Level 10, then you have to grow yourself as a person. Make being a better dad a personal daily study to improve your knowledge and skills of how to be better dad. It’s not about what you are doing, but who you are becoming and aspire to become. Yet ironically, it’s what we’re doing that’s determining who we are becoming.
The 5 Minute Rule
Hal learned about The 5 Minute Rule through his mentor and now friend during his sales training class. He explains how dads can get out of their own heads and into positivity by using it.
Hal’s mentor/friend explained The 5 Minute Rule to him like this:
1. You’re going to go out there and experience failure, rejection, and all that you encounter in sales — and in life, period. You’re going to encounter a lot of this, and it’s OK to be negative sometimes.
2. Don’t bottle feelings up; don’t shove them down. Don’t pretend that your feelings are not there and try to avoid them. Feel them, but set the timer on your phone to 5 minutes to moan, complain, vent, feel sorry for yourself, cry, etc.
3. After 5 minutes, you have to realize that there’s no value in dwelling on something that’s out of your control. You can’t go back in time and change it, so there’s no value in feeling bad wishing that you could.
Hal shares these insights about The 5 Minute Rule to help shift your mindset and perspective:
- To the degree that you wish something didn’t happen to you, it’s a resistance to that reality.
- To the degree that you resist your reality, it’s the degree that you will create emotional pain for yourself.
- Emotional pain has little to nothing going on around you, and it has everything to do with what’s going on inside of you.
- Realize what you can and cannot change.
- Accept the things you cannot change and don’t focus on them. There is no point, no value, in focusing on things you cannot change.
- As you practice The 5 Minute Rule more and more, you’ll realize that it will be become easier for you to typically take less than 5 minutes to do. You’ll notice that the 5-minute timeframe needed to be negative and express your feelings will begin shrink into less time, in general.
- Eventually, The 5 Minute Rule will evolve for you. You’ll begin to understand that every negative emotion that you feel is self-created, and you can choose to not self-create negative emotion.
- Accept life before it happens.
6 Most Powerful Developmental Practices – Life S.A.V.E.R.S.:
1. Silence: Meditation/Prayer or both.
2. Affirmations: Written statements of what you want, why you want them, and how you will achieve them with clarity. (Hal’s favorite part of S.A.V.E.R.S.) For Hal, it’s not about lying to yourself of tricking yourself. It’s about programming your subconscious with a clear vision and clarity over what you’ve got to commit to do in order to ensure achievement and going in the direction you want to go.
3. Visualization: Not just visualizing the end result, but also taking action.
4. Exercise: Benefits of exercise puts you in a peak physical, mental, and emotional state to “win” your day, especially in the morning.
5. Reading: Read self development books every day. Hal says this is one of the fastest ways to become the person you want to be in every area of your life.
6. Scribing: 5 minute journal — in other words, write for 5 minutes. Gratitude journals are a great way to record, reflect, and remember the positive things and people in your life. Hal uses an app called “5 Minute Journal”, making morning and evening entries. You can also buy a physical journal or notebook, which gives the added neurological benefits from physically going through the motions of writing.
In the end, if you want to be a great parent, simply strive to become a great person. Become a Level 10 human being.
Check out a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
- Shawn’s Website
- Shawn’s Twitter Page
- Shawn’s Facebook Page
- Shawn’s Instagram Page
Links Mentioned In This Episode
Books Mentioned In This Episode
- The Morning Miracle: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life Before 8AM by Hal Elrod
- Taking Life Head On!: How To Love The Life You Have While You Create The Life of Your Dreams by Hal Elrod
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Good Dad Project. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute to subscribe and leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!