In this episode, Larry and Shawn go over some key takeaways from Larry’s Amazon #1 Best Seller, “The Dad’s Edge.”
- Discover Unlimited Patience
- How to be a good dad by being a good husband
- How perfection will cripple your journey as a father
Having the “DAD EDGE” means making mistakes
As you guys know, a few weeks ago, I launched a book called “The Dad’s Edge: 9 Simple Strategies to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories.” I was humbled by the response. After being on Amazon for just one day, it hit #1 in 2 categories and hit #4 in the Fatherhood category. When I first launched this book, I thought it would be great to land somewhere within the top 100 of Amazon’s Best Sellers..but never did I think it would gain so much momentum so fast. As I have stated time and time again…I am no dad expert. I have no accolades behind my name. I am just another dad who makes a million mistakes a day. I put this book out there for several reasons.
When I first started my dad journey 9 years ago, I felt frustrated and lost. I felt I was trying to find a destination without a map. It was confusing, frustrating, and defeating to say the least. I decided long ago to simply become a student of fatherhood and just try to learn as much as I could. I opened myself up to learning because simply wanted guidance and I was tired of feeling defeated. Once I opened myself up to learning…my life and fatherhood journey changed more than I could ever imagine. What I have learned and lived by is 9 simple strategies that have made all the difference in the world. I’m not saying everyday is perfect…far from it. In fact, I have learned a very hard lesson about trying to be perfect…it doesn’t exist. In fact, measuring myself against perfection was the quickest way to cripple my journey. Being a good dad means mistakes and a lot of them!
Dads and Men are wired to solve problems
As men, we are wired up to conquer and solve problems. We don’t like to show weakness or make mistakes. We view ourselves as leaders and the rock of strength for our families. It is something we take very seriously. However, it is something we don’t have to take so seriously to the extreme. For example, when we dads make mistakes we can be incredibly hard on ourselves. Maybe we went overboard blowing up at our kids for doing something wrong? Maybe we came home from work in an awful mood and ended up taking out our aggressions out on our families. Not only do we feel bad about our mistakes, but we also feel bad the mistake was made in the first place. Listen, I want you to know here and now mistakes will happen and they will happen often. Being a good dad is how we respond to those mistakes.
Being a Good Dad Means Mistakes and Lots of Them
If you are not a Dad who is making mistakes then it simply means you are either not human or not engaged. If you listen to our podcast or read our blog, that is not who you are. Mistakes are a part of being a dad. Plus, if you feel pretty bad when you make mistakes, that is a really good sign. The men who are worried about whether or not they are good dads…are good dads…simple as that.
The Dad Edge Takeaway Tips:
- As a Dad, be prepared to make mistakes and laugh at yourself. If you want to really put a damper on your enjoyment during the journey of fatherhood, make sure you are super hard on yourself and beat yourself up when you make a mistake.
- When you make a mistake, be the first to openly apologize to your kids and/or wife. Being open about being human and apologizing will teach your kids the same valuable lesson. You are teaching them to be human and mistakes are not necessarily “life-ending,” but instead a learning experience from which we all can grow.
- Know that when you are making mistakes, it means you are more engaged and involved. The player that never makes a mistake is the one that is sitting on the bench. If you are an active, involved, and engaged Dad, you will make mistakes. But that simply shows you are there and present.
- Remember: You are a Dad, but you are also human. You are most likely doing a better job than you think.
Check out a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Larry’s New Book: THE DAD’S EDGE
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
- Shawn’s Website
- Shawn’s Twitter Page
- Shawn’s Facebook Page
- Shawn’s Instagram Page
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Good Dad Project. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute to subscribe and leave a quick rating and review of the show on iTunes by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!
- Click Here to Subscribe via iTunes
- Click Here to Subscribe via Stitcher
- Click Here to Subscribe via RSS