We’re going to do something new for Thursday Throwdown. I receive a lot of emails from listeners, so in this episode I’m going to answer three questions from The Dad Edge mailbox. Send your email to email@example.com and your question might be featured in the next show!
Today we’re going to cover three topics:
- How to get a child to listen and obey without yelling.
- How to stay motivated when you’re in a funk.
- How to start a side-hustle without sacrificing family time.
My son is two years old and he is currently at the stage where he is not listening. He’s actively trying to ignore us when asked to do things. He seems to respond immediately if my voice gets raised and I yell, although I don’t like raising my voice and I don’t want to make a habit of doing it. Any tips? — Ben
- If you want kids to listen, get down on their level, touch them on the shoulder and look them in the eyes when you speak to them
- Nobody likes being told what to do, even kids. Empower them by forcing them to make decisions. Give them a choice of how or when to do whatever it is they are refusing to do.
How do you tackle a slump of motivation and bring yourself back into focus?
- Give yourself grace for being in a slump. You’ll make it worse by beating yourself up about it.
- Remind yourself of what is it your chasing. What is your desired end-goal? What will you feel like once you accomplish it?
- Make a plan to jump back in. Remind yourself by looking at your map of what you need to do. The best time to take action is now.
- Find someone you can partner up with for accountability.
Do you have any suggestions on a side hustle or part time job that won’t take time away from my family?
- Ask yourself, what do you like doing? You’ll be spending a lot of time working on it. Make sure it’s something you like.
- Audit your time. It may feel like you don’t have enough time to develop a side-business, but how many hours are you spending watching Netflix?
- We do more before 8 a.m. than the rest of the world if we wake up a few hours early. You can rack up 10 or 12 hours per week to devote to your new business this way. That’s 40 hours a month—a whole work week!
- Think about ways to develop passive income that require minimal time and attention, like real estate investments.
Have a question for The Dad Edge? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week. The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
We have new Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
Hungry for more out of life?
Become one of the 330 men of The Dad Edge Alliance
Learn More About Our Live Event!
June 6th – 8th 2019
ONLY A FEW SPOTS LEFT!
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!