Money is the number one cause for friction between couples. Out of the 50% of marriages that end in divorce, 70% of them end because of financial issues. This is a staggering number, but money in marriage is not something we are taught to navigate, and we don’t know how to show our kids a good example either.
Today we have The Money Couple, Scott and Bethany Palmer on The Dad Edge. They are financial advisors who got tired of seeing their clients’ marriages destroyed because of money. Together they wrote The 5 Money Personalities and The 5 Money Conversations to Have with Your Kids at Every Age and Stage.
Scott and Bethany reveal the 5 money personalities, the reasoning behind each one, and how we can learn to work with our spouse’s and our children’s money personalities. They also discuss how harmful it is to argue about money in front of the kids and how to use money language to actually bring your marriage and family closer than ever before.
(Look for the link at the end of the show notes to money personality assessments for you and your whole family.)
Scott and Bethany Palmer, The Money Couple
“Over two decades ago, our passion to save marriages was born. As Financial Advisors, for over 25 years, helping couples, we discovered: money “issues” are not about dollars and cents. Couples struggle to communicate about and agree on money which creates tension, fights, and even divorce.
Couples struggles along with ours, broke our hearts and propelled us into a decade of research and work with a Stanford scientist to develop The Money Personality Assessment. We now have the Assessments, tools and resources for couples to agree about money and experience a magnificent marriage.”
The 5 Money Personalities: Speaking the Same Love and Money Language
The hidden key to a healthy relationship is not just managing money but understanding how the other approaches money.
Every couple argues about money. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been married for 40 years or dating for 4 months, money touches every decision you make as a couple―from the $5 cup of coffee to the $50,000 car. And when the two of you don’t see eye-to-eye on how much to spend or how much to save, that’s when arguments turn into ugly toxic fights that leave both persons feeling hurt and angry. It’s why money has become the #1 cause of divorce in the U.S. Obviously, something needs to change. The reason this crisis has not been addressed is because it has never been identified, defined, or given a name. Scott and Bethany Palmer, aka “The Money Couple,” have identified and defined this problem and offer concrete solutions to fix it.
Once you know your Money Personality, you can get to the root of money arguments and start really working together. You’ll discover what has an impact on your loved one’s money decisions, and you’ll learn how to talk about money in a way that’s actually fun! You’ll figure out how to put an end to money secrets and lies once and for all.
It’s not just about money management, and it’s definitely not just about overcoming debt. It is a whole new way of living that will change everything in your relationship. Tens of thousands have already been transformed. Are you ready?
The 5 Money Conversations to Have with Your Kids at Every Age and Stage
Raise your hand if your parents had “the talk” with you. No, not that talk. We mean the money talk.
Money affects you and your kids every day. Now there’s a way to talk about money in a way that actually brings your family closer.
With two kids of our own, we suspect our parenting goals are likely the same as yours—no spoiled brats, no crippling debt, and kids who know a dollar actually takes work. That’s why we wrote this book.
The 5 Money Conversations to Have with Your Kids at Every Age and Stage offers practical advice for dealing with three age groups (5–12, 13–17, and 18 and beyond). It is the parenting “how to” book you don’t want to live without.
- Conquer the 5 toughest money conversations to have with your kids
- Discover your kids’ Money Personalities by taking the age-based Money Personalities Assessment (access code included inside)
- Learn their Money Languages so you can be heard
We give you relationship secrets, share our experiences, and make it fun. Whether your kids are 5 or 25, this book will change the course of your family forever!
What You’ll Learn
- How huge arguments start from simple differences in how you spend money
- How money personalities can come up in every conversation you have
- Money arguments in front of the kids model a bad marriage to them.
- We think that if we have the perfect cashflow, budget, and retirement, we’ll have a great marriage. This is not true.
- Opposites attract and then attack.
- There are no right or wrong money personalities, just different ones.
- You have to understand which money personality you’re married to and accept that.
- Why we’re not good at compromising when it comes to money
- Why you should “never stop getting a PHD on your spouse”
- How couples might have the same primary money personality, but different secondary money personalities that will cause conflict.
- Exercises you can do to appease to your spouse’s money personality
- Family money huddles to discuss E.N.D.s—Evaluation, Needs, Dreams.
- Dreaming together is important for a couple.
- What is financial infidelity and how it is damaging to marriages.
- The importance of understanding a kid’s money personality
- Teaching kids the financial and relational sides of money.
- Encourage your kids to work from a young age to instill work ethic (and prevent them from living in your basement when they become adults).
- You can’t just have one talk with your kids about money. You have to look for real-life opportunities to train them.
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week.
The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
YNAB. You Need a Budget
Get a FREE 34 Day Trial at YNAB.com/dads
The Money Couple’s Links
We have new Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
- The Dad Edge on YouTube
Hungry for more out of life?
Become one of the 350 men of The Dad Edge Alliance
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!