Have you ever felt overwhelmed by the expectations placed on you as a husband? Are you confused about what exactly your wife needs from you? Is your marriage in a rut but you don’t know the first step to getting out?
Today’s guest is Quentin Hafner, author of Black Belt Husband: A Marriage Book for Men. He’s a couples counselor by day and a Brazilian jujitsu practitioner by night. Quentin has developed a methodology to becoming a great husband inspired by the martial arts belt system.
There is no need to feel hopeless when your marriage hits a wall, even if the sex has all but disappeared and you and your spouse at moments hate each other. Quentin Hafner breaks it all down for us in this episode!'What’s different about a relationship today is that women have an expectation that men can fulfill them emotionally...'—Quentin Hafner, Black Belt Husband #marriage #men #manhood #relationships Click To Tweet
What You’ll Learn
- Why did Quentin Hafner decided to write Black Belt Husband
- Why most guys aren’t interested in mainstream relationship books
- How your actions are a choice, your feelings are not a choice
- How marital bliss will naturally subside in between 6 and 24 months
- How to stop judging your own feelings
- How having uncomfortable feelings about your marriage is common
- How everybody has the feeling of hating their spouse at some time
- How negative feelings doesn’t mean your marriage is broken, only that a problem needs to be addressed
- Quentin’s mission to normalize these feelings so men don’t panic
- How not to react to your feelings, but instead correct your course
- The two main things that silently destroy a marriage
- Apathy – being too casual, leaving the relationship on cruise control. Marriages are like a living organism that needs nurturing and tending to.
- Understanding the importance of offering your wife an emotional connection – Marriages from 2018 are hugely different from 1975. Women have an expectation of emotional fulfilment. Being a provider is not enough and most guys struggle with how to do that.
- How to understand your own needs as a man
- How to communicate those needs to your wife
- Why listening to your wife is only half the equation
- To offer the full emotional connection requires you to share
- Women are desperate for men to share, to find out about the person they are with
- A man’s options in an argument
- Why shutting down emotionally is like drinking your own poison
- How taking risks and being honest about your feelings is like magic to your marriage
- How being “the rock” for your spouse is the biggest myth
- The similarities between the journey through marriage and jujitsu
- Quentin’s belt system for becoming a great husband
- White belt – being coachable and open minded
- Blue belt – building self-confidence and internal strength
- Purple belt – becoming well-rounded
- Brown belt – being a great leader in marriage
- Black belt – mastery
- How sex for women is a completely emotional experience and they need to feel extremely secure and attached to have a healthy libido
- Advice to men in a sexless marriage
- Why you shouldn’t hesitate to get professional help
Like the show? Leave an iTunes review.
If you’re enjoying the show, we encourage you to leave an itunes review.
We read reviews on the show every week. The next one might be yours!
Thanks for the support.
YNAB. You Need a Budget
Get a FREE 34 Day Trial at YNAB.com/dads
Quentin Hafner’s Links
We have new Dad Edge T-Shirts! Grab one HERE
Download a free chapter from: THE DAD’S EDGE on UNLIMITED PATIENCE HERE
Check out this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR SPOUSE
Download this free resource on: CONNECTION WITH YOUR KIDS
- Amazon Bestselling Book: The Dad’s Edge – 9 Simple Ways to Have: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s New Course: The Dad’s Edge – 6 Strategies to Achieve: Unlimited Patience, Improved Relationships, and Positive Lasting Memories
- Larry’s Twitter Page
- Larry’s Facebook Page
- Larry’s Instagram Page
Hungry for more out of life?
Become a member of The Dad Edge Alliance
What did you think of the show?
What was your biggest take away?
Tag us when you share on social media!